The Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow is also known as the Jan Matejko Academy of Fine Arts. The academy is named in honor of Jan Matejko, great painter as well as the first President of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow.
Background of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow:
The Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow was started as a subdivision of the Department of Literature of the Jagiellonian University. The academy was declared an independent university in 1873. Seminal Polish painter Jan Matejko was the first President of the academy. Florian Stanislaw Cynk, Aleksander Gryglewski and Leopold Loeffler were the first professors of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow. After Jan Matejko passed away Julian Falat was appointed as the next President of the academy of fine arts. Julian Falat remained as the President till 1909. Julian Falat made certain changes in the academy during his term of office which gave a new direction to the academy. He hired new art instructors who had associations with the philosophies of contemporary western art. A few of the noted art instructors were Teodor Axentowicz, Jacek Malczewski, Jan Stanislawski, Leon Wyczólkowski, Konstanty Laszczka, Józef Mehoffer, Stanislaw Wyspianski, Wojciech Weiss, and Józef Pankiewicz. At present, the ceramic sculpture studio at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow is headed by world famous sculptor Czeslaw Dzwigaj.
Departments at the Academy:
The various departments at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow are, department of Interior Design, department of Industrial Design, department of Graphic Arts, department of Art Conservation, department of Painting, department of Sculpture and interdisciplinary department of Art History
The academy has been subject to three changes over the years. From 1818 to 1873 it was known as the School of Drawing and Painting, from 1873 to 1900 it was called School of Fine Arts. It came to be known by its present name since 1900.